If you are not used to Middle-East cuisine, this dish of pomegranate and pinhead oats salad may sound a bit weird. And well, pinhead oats don’t exactly yell “Middle-East”, I know. You can use couscous instead of them. I just wanted to make this salad gluten-free, and instead of quinoa, I tried pinhead oats and their texture, and neutral taste goes amazingly with the other ingredients. Pinhead oats (also called coarse oatmeal or steel-cut oats) is an excellent ingredient for side dishes, salads and other kinds of meals. Their nutritional values are tremendous and preparing is easy and quite fast.
Gluten-Free Pomegranate and Pinhead Oats Salad
3-4 portions as a side dish, cooking time appr. 30 minutes
- 1 cup pinhead oats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- half of a cucumber
- 5 oz (150 g) feta cheese
- 1-2 pomegranates (seeds)
- fresh cilantro or parsley
- (Turkish yoghurt for serving)
- Add cumin to a saucepan with olive oil until it is heated.
- Put the pan away from the stove and add other seasonings, pinhead oats and spoiling water (according to the instructions in your oats package). You can use couscous instead of pinhead oats.
- Mix everything and let stay for around 7-8 minutes under a lid, until all the water has absorbed, or according to the instructions of the package.
- Cut the avocado and cucumber. Mix all the ingredients with the pinhead oats. Leave something for garnishing.
- Serve and enjoy! Turkish yoghurt goes well with this dish.